Thursday, November 19, 2009

Travel to Argentina

Dylan- We are finally in Bariloche, Argentina in a hostel, we've got free internet so I figured I'd post something while I can. Turns out the time difference is 5 hours ahead of Pacific time. That might help explain the kids being a little crazy. To recap the travel, left Redmond, Oregon at 7am, flew right over the Sierra Nevada mountains. I could see all of my favorite peaks, the lake we camped at this summer for a week, we even saw Half Dome in Yosemite just below us, it was really cool. Then we spent half the day in LAX with Grampy and Aunt Paula walking around trying to find a restaraunt. The flight to Dallas was uneventful and the next long 11 hour leg to Buenos Aires wasn't too bad either. Cheri and Amelia had a seat with a baby bed and Ritter and I were 10 seats back. The only bummer was when the movie I was watching was almost over he had to go to the bathroom so I missed the ending. GI Joe always wins so I can only guess that Cobra lost the battle. Once in Buenos Aires we took a taxi to the domestic airport down town and waited 7 hours for the final flight. Cloud cover and not much to see put us in Bariloche 2 hours later completely wasted but so thankful to have a warm hostel, private bathroom with hot water and a nice bed to go to. It's been 24 hours now since we arrived. Amelia is crying a lot as we try to put her back on schedule of feeding and sleeping. Ritter is a lot fussier than normal as he competes for attention and also tries to adjust. Travel wasn't so bad, it's this adjustment time that is rough. We are also realing from the cost of things here. When we last traveled in Argentina it didn't seem so bad. Food now seems a lot more expensive, virtually equal to US prices, sometimes more. Bananas are $1 a pound and a simple meat sandwich for lunch was $7 each downtown. I went to a grocery store this evening up in the barrio cheaper part of town and prices were still the same up there. We met up with the pastor of the local Baptist church in the west side of town. He and his wife were really nice. We had tea and talked about what they are up to in the community and how we might be of use. More on that later. First on our list of things to do is find a home. Tomorrow will hopefully be a nicer day. Today it rained a lot, we couldn't see any of the natural beauty that make this place so special. So it's been a long rough day with the kids and everything so we are going to sleep. Pray for God's provision and direction. Dylan



At the Redmond Airport, the beginning of a very long journey.... Catching Aunt Paula and Grampy during our 4 hour layover in LA
Aunt Paula (Great Aunt Paula or GAP to Amelia)


Killing time at the Buenos Aires Airport



An even better way to kill time at the Buenos Aires Airport





Amelia sleeping in a drawer beside our bed






Ritter found his own niche








No comments: